Sunday, December 12, 2010

Personal Learning Reflection: CEP810

City Refraction, City Reflectionphoto © 2009 Luis Argerich | more info (via: Wylio)
My main goal in undertaking these courses on my way to obtaining a Masters in Educational Technology is to develop my current knowledge of technology that could be used in the classroom and learn how and why they can assist in learning. Figuring out the ways in which the technology is bettering and adding value to the learning and teaching of a subject.

One of the main areas of growth I encountered in CEP810 was whether I was comfortable being either a leader or a follower in a group project. I pretty much immediately learned that I must lead to feel that our group can stay on course and to meet deadlines. To be able to balance a guidance role and not to come across as demeaning or overwhelming is something I developed over the last few months and I hope I achieved that.
These strategies are something I can bring with me back into the classroom in defining and facilitating roles for students in group work. In the elementary school, group work can be the most demanding, challenging but ultimately rewarding undertakings a teacher and students can do.
I had a chance to do just that with a small group of Grade 5 students starting to use Prezi Meeting for the first time. Roles, proper communication and planning were discussed and I could actually show them the Prezi my group was working on at that time presenting to them an authentic example to model the skills we were discussing. They even asked me last week if we got it done on time!!

I feel the SIG presentation displayed an effective use of the internet in teaching and learning and I believe is the best assignment that we turned that exemplifies good teaching with technology. Team work, presentation skills and research skills were rolled in to one online presentation. Prezi Meeting is a challenging project Teamworkphoto © 2009 Eric Harrison | more info (via: Wylio)
to undertake for teachers let alone students but in giving students the chance to undertake a project like ours will give them many obstacles to overcome and learn from. They need to develop communication skills, not only in face to face discussions but online also. They need to plan the presentation and find a middle ground for everyone to be happy with the layout. Finally, they need to collaboratively plan on their research and refine their research skills to fit the medium of Prezi and their final method of presenting.


I mentioned in my Personal Growth Plan that my goal was to meet each activity with vigor and take advantage of the resources I find. I feel like I have done that and it only makes me want to continue with more vigor for the courses I will do in Spring. I also mentioned that I wanted to collaborate and learn with my classmates and I feel like I have done that adequately, unfortunately due to time differences I couldn't make any of the Adobe Connect sessions.

One of my new goals is to learn more about the mechanics of teaching core subjects like English and Maths. I want to learn more and be able to describe in more detail why technology would assist certain aspects of certain subjects.

1 comment:

  1. You did a wonderful job in taking the lead. I am glad you did or your group would have struggled at times. It seems like someone always has to step up to the plate and take a different role in group structures to make them work. It is fine not having 4 leaders, as long as everyone does their share of the work. You were very conscientious and I wish I could have accommodated you in the Adobe Connect sessions. This group had so many different time zones.
    You forgot to post this in the portfolio so I did it for you. :)

    ReplyDelete